Save the George Tavern
Music Heritage UK is proud to support a grassroots campaign to save the George Tavern, an iconic new music, performance and arts venue housed in a 600 year old building on Commercial Road, Stepney, London.
This historic East London music venue and pub which is over 600 years old has hosted concerts and events for the likes of Nick Cave, Plan B, John Cooper Clarke, Babyshambles, and even Sir Roger Penrose.
The adjoining 60s nightclub Stepneys was mentioned by the Rolling Stones in 'Play with Fire', countless concerts and parties took place over the years in a building which was famous for its illuminated dance floor.
The venue has also hosted photo shoots for Kate Moss, Georgia Jagger, Justin Timberlake, Grimes, Amy Winehouse and Grace Jones. Upstairs the building was featured in Plan B’s movie 'Ill Manors' and Nick Cave's debut video for his project Grinderman was filmed on site.
As well as regular new music nights, classical music concerts, pop-up art exhibitions, vintage jumble sales, film, poetry and spoken word gigs are also put on at a venue which embraces all aspects of the arts.
The Grade II listed pub and venue on Commercial Road, Stepney, London is under threat from developers who have purchased the adjoining site. They have submitted a number of different plans to build luxury apartments next to the pub. If the flats are built, the venue will most probably be forced to stop live music events – its bread and butter.
If the George Tavern is forced to close it will be a huge loss to the local and artistic communities of East London and the hundreds of acts who play the venue each year.
Full news can be found on the dedicated campaign site.
February 2017 - The George Tavern have been informed that they're due in court on Wednesday 22nd March at 10am. Landlady Pauline and her family would love to see you there to show your support! Council Chamber at the Town Hall, Mulberry Place, 5 Clove Crescent, London E14 2BG.
January 2017 - George granted extension until 23 January to respond to Swan's appeal. Landlady Pauline is asking for letters of support - more details in our facebook post here.
December 2016 - Swan Housing return with appeal to Planning Inspectorate. Read our blog post.
November 2016 - The George is hit by new planning application and asks for your support. Write to Tower Hamlets to let them know what you think of the new plans! Read more on our blog.
November 2016 - History of the George and the new development plans are written-up in full page in Time Out magazine.
October 2016 - The George's Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment concerts are profiled by Radio Four's BBC World at One. Listen again here.
August 2016 - Campaign covered by CAMRA's London Drinker magazine.
July 2016 - The George wins at Court of Appeal! Read more on our blog or check out our press release. The news is covered by The Evening Standard, i-D/Vice, Dazed, Time Out, Londonist, East London Advertiser, IQ magazine, CMU and Music Week.
June 2016 - Save the George Festival on 24 to 26th June. All proceeds from a weekend of performance and celebration to the campaign's legal costs. Music Heritage UK will also be there hosting the "Where Is My Mind music quiz" on the Sunday. Facebook event.
June 2016 - The George attends appeal hearing at Court of Appeal. We were there to support Pauline and her campaign. Check out our write-up of what went on, or read all about it at East London Lines.
May 2016 - The George is given last chance at Court of Appeal. Test-case to be heard on Wednesday 8th of June.
May 2016 - Love for the George! Explore our favourite comments.
February 2016 - New online petition launched at change.org. Sign up now and show your support for the George and live music!
February 2016 - The George Tavern are given right to appeal at Court of Appeal in what will be seen as a test-case for venues, pubs and established businesses facing similar situations up and down the country. The case will be heard by October. Read our blog post for more.
August 2015 - The George Tavern loses at High Court. Plan to apply to appeal decision. Update here.
June 2015 - The George launches crowdfunding campaign launched on Indiegogo to help with covering legal fees. Rewards include limited edition t-shirts, exclusive artwork, signed celebrity memorabilia and much, much more. [NOW CLOSED].
May 2015 - The George's appeal is heard at the High Court on Thursday 14th May. Decision by the Judge is due over coming months.
May 2015 - Huffington Post interview with Pauline which covers her nine year fight and the financial and emotional impact it's had.
December 2014 - The George launch fundraising drive to help pay for court costs - T-Shirts now on sale.
December 2014 - The George appeals decision at High Court, case due to be heard in May 2015
October 2014 - Sad news as Planning Inspectorate side with developers. Read our full update here.
October 2014 - Music Heritage UK hosts its first ever new music band night at the George to spread awareness.
March 2014 - The petition is now closed! Thanks to everyone who signed, tweeted, blogged, shared, and liked!
Kaiser Chief and The Voice judge Ricky Wilson was down the George for a 'secret' BBC The Voice gig featuring some of Team Ricky's singers. He was filmed making a passionate defence of the George Tavern and the important role places like it play in nurturing new musical talent.
Your podcast producer and presenter Andy met with Pauline and recorded a special campaign podcast. Listen below now!
What you need to do now!
1. Visit the Save the George campaign site. Share it with your friends!
2. Sign the online petition.
3. Show your support by tweeting your reasons to save the venue to @savethegeorge, using the hashtag #savethegeorge. Become a fan on facebook to be kept up to date with campaign news. You can also follow the campaign on Instagram.
4. Go and experience a live show at the George! Find out what's on over at their website.
5. Buy a Save The George T-shirt (or bag or plectrum or badge) to help cover legal costs. As worn by Kate Moss, Georgia Jagger and many more celebs. Wear the shirt while out in London, at Festivals, on Holiday.... Get people talking!
Get the low down...
See how the media have covered the campaign and discover more about the venue, its history and the long-standing fight to keep live music at the George.
More from Music Heritage UK on this:
- Swan return with appeal to Planning Inspectorate - Blog
- The George wins at Court of Appeal - Blog
- The George wins at Court of Appeal, but battle continues! - Press Release
- Music Heritage UK hosts the 'Where Is My Mind? music Quiz' at the Save the George Festival - Event
- The George at the Court of Appeal - What happened - Blog
- The George given June court date for last chance appeal - Blog
- Love for the George... Our favourite petition comments - Blog
- The George wins right to appeal - how you can help! - Blog
- Nine year battle reaches crescendo as Court of Appeal grants venue lifeline in fight against developers - Press Release (22 February 2016)
- Right to appeal turned down - Blog
- George Tavern loses High Court case... but the battle continues! - Blog
- Pauline Forster of George Tavern shortlisted for "Heritage Angel" award - Blog
- ''We'll Never Give Up!' One Family's Nine Year Battle to Save Iconic Music Venue' - Huffington Post
- Fundraising to meet mounting legal costs - Blog
- Campaign to save music venue the George Tavern dealt huge blow as Planning Inspectorate sides with property developers - Press Release (31 October 2014)
- 'Sounding Off - How a lack of common sense is killing new music' - Huffington Post
- Calls for public to join celebrity backed campaign to save iconic East End pub and music venue - Press Release (17 February 2014)
- Save George Tavern - Podcast
Other CampaignsEaling Club
Ministry of Sound
Jimi Hendrix Plaque
Save the Twisted Wheel